Is mass spectrometry effective in diagnosing ovarian cancer?

David A. Fishman, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Albumin-bound low molecular weight peptide fragments that are specific to certain disease states, like early ovarian cancer, have been found using mass spectrometry (a method that reveals a molecular profile of a sample). The potential biomarkers (cellular, biochemical and molecular characteristics used in screening, early diagnosis, prognosis, tracking treatment response or recurrence of disease) found through mass spectrometry have been abundant. The same cannot be said for the number of these biomarkers that have been transitioned into clinical practice for diagnosis of ovarian cancer.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

6 Tips to Keep a Consistent Medication Routine
Many people living with cancer struggle to take medications as directed, for a variety of reasons. Use the tips in this video to help keep a consisten...
What kind of ovarian cancer research is being conducted?
Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)
Ovarian cancer is the leading cause of death from gynecologic cancers in the United States, and the ...
How can I prevent ovarian cancer if I have a BRCA mutation?
Shelly WeissShelly Weiss
Unfortunately, we don’t yet have good screening tools to detect ovarian cancer at an early stage. Fo...
What Are Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer?
What Are Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer?