If I have ovarian cancer can I still have sex?

Dr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Stress from your diagnosis and the effects of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation will naturally affect your sexuality. Include your partner in your concerns, and share your feelings so that you can find other ways to share intimacy during and after treatment. Affection and love help stir sexual feelings.

After surgery, it will take some time for the upper part of the vagina to heal. Removal of the ovaries cause symptoms similar to those that occur during menopause so there may be a loss of libido and vaginal dryness. Ask your doctor about strategies to minimize symptoms from the loss of hormones due to removal of your ovaries.

Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Reducing Ovarian Risks
Reducing Ovarian Risks
When Angelina Jolie discovered she had the genetic mutation BRCA-1, she was told she had an 87 percent chance of developing breast cancer. She then de...
Why is ovarian cancer referred to as the disease that whispers?
Barbara A. Goff, MDBarbara A. Goff, MD
Watch as gynecologic oncologist Dr. Barbara Goff explains why ovarian cancer is often referred to as...
What is the role of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) in ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and II and their binding protein constitute a point of cell p...
Once I'm Experiencing Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer, Is It too Late?