If I have ovarian cancer can I still have sex?

Dr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Stress from your diagnosis and the effects of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation will naturally affect your sexuality. Include your partner in your concerns, and share your feelings so that you can find other ways to share intimacy during and after treatment. Affection and love help stir sexual feelings.

After surgery, it will take some time for the upper part of the vagina to heal. Removal of the ovaries cause symptoms similar to those that occur during menopause so there may be a loss of libido and vaginal dryness. Ask your doctor about strategies to minimize symptoms from the loss of hormones due to removal of your ovaries.

Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

7 Things To Know About Ovarian Cancer
7 Things To Know About Ovarian Cancer
We’ve heard a fair amount about ovarian cancer in the past year or so -- from the death of Pierce Brosnan’s daughter to Angelina Jolie’s consideration...
Can ovarian cancer be prevented?
While you may not be able to prevent ovarian cancer, there are ways you can reduce your risk. Taking...
What is the role of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) aid tumor cells in their involvement in angiogenesis and in all...
What Age or Race of Women Are More Likely to Develop Ovarian Cancer?