How is stage I or II ovarian cancer treated?

Treatment of stage I or II ovarian cancer may involve surgery to remove the uterus, both ovaries, and part of the omentum, tissue that surrounds abdominal organs. If you are young, have very early stage disease, and your tumor is low grade, the doctor may be able to remove just one ovary, leaving your uterus and other ovary. This will allow you to have children later. Other options include radiation therapy, although this is not often used in the management of ovarian cancer, and chemotherapy. Your doctor may choose to do surgery followed by chemotherapy, or just surgery.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian Cancer: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
Ovarian cancer is too often found after it's already reached an advanced stage. “Unfortunately, while screening tests exist for a number of cancers ou...
Why is ovarian cancer referred to as the disease that whispers?
Barbara A. Goff, MDBarbara A. Goff, MD
Watch as gynecologic oncologist Dr. Barbara Goff explains why ovarian cancer is often referred to as...
How are ovarian tumors diagnosed?
Dr. David A. Fishman, MDDr. David A. Fishman, MD
At present, sonography is the most effective method for diagnosing ovarian tumors. However, despite ...
What Does Prevention for Ovarian Cancer Look Like?