How is radiation therapy used to treat ovarian cancer?

Radiation therapy is used for some ovarian cancer patients. Because ovarian cancer cells tend to be carried in the fluid throughout the abdomen, radiation therapy treatments are generally administered to the whole abdominal area, which can have a high rate of side effects. Instead, in most cases, radiation oncologists use radiation therapy to treat a single “hot spot” that is found on an imaging scan.

Radiation oncologists may also use radiation treatments to alleviate pain or bleeding, or before surgery to shrink tumors that involve the colon or other nearby organs.

Radiation oncologists use highly-targeted chemotherapy treatments to destroy cancer cells, along with other innovative treatments, like hormone therapy, to fight against the growth of new cancer cells.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian Cancer: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
Ovarian cancer is too often found after it's already reached an advanced stage. “Unfortunately, while screening tests exist for a number of cancers ou...
What is the role of prostasin in ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Prostasin is a trypsin-like serine protease with a molecular weight of 40-kDa. It is physiologic...
What is the role of OVX1 in ovarian cancer?
OVX1 refers to either the ovarian or breast cancer related antigen on a high molecular weight mu...
How Will My Doctor Decide If I Should Have Robotic or Open Surgery?