How can I prevent ovarian cancer if I have a BRCA mutation?

Shelly Weiss
Clinical Geneticist

Unfortunately, we don’t yet have good screening tools to detect ovarian cancer at an early stage. For this reason, most ovarian cancers are diagnosed at later stages, where they are not curable. Transvaginal ultrasounds and CA-125 blood tests can be utilized for screening with an understanding of their limitations. At this time we are recommending that when a woman who has a BRCA mutation is done completing her family, in her mid to late 30s she should consider having her ovaries removed preventatively.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Add a Year to Your Life After Ovarian Cancer
If you or a loved one is coping with ovarian cancer, you may worry that time could run out. But what if there was a way to put precious time back on y...
What is the role of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) in ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and II and their binding protein constitute a point of cell p...
Where is CA125 (cancer antigen 125) produced in the body?
Cancer antigen 125 (CA125) is physiologically expressed in epithelial tissues. Examples of these...
What Is the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund?