How does ovarian cancer affect the body?

Ovarian cancer affects the body in a few ways. As the cancer spreads beyond the ovary into the abdominal cavity, fluid collects within that space. You may notice that your pants no longer fit or that you feel full, as though you have just eaten a large meal. If the cancer spreads further and fluid starts to accumulate near the lung you may have difficulty breathing.

Ovarian cancer can affect the body in different ways depending on whether the disease presents acutely or subacutely. Women with ovarian cancer presenting acutely typically have more advanced disease and can present with pleural effusions and/or bowel obstruction. Those who present with symptoms in the subacute fashion typically experience pelvic or abdominal pain, bloating, and/or gastrointestinal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Detecting Ovarian Cancer
Detecting Ovarian Cancer
Your ovaries lie deep within your pelvis, which makes disease detection tricky. Early screening methods for ovarian cancer have so far proved unreliab...
What should I ask my doctor once diagnosed with ovarian cancer?
Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MDNimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Find out your doctor's qualifications for treating ovarian cancer, learn about your treatment plan a...
What can prevent the recurrence of ovarian and endometrial cancers?
Dr. Gustavo C. Rodriguez, MDDr. Gustavo C. Rodriguez, MD
There’s actually a growing body of evidence that exercise lowers the risk of recurrence of a number ...
Is It True That Dogs Can Smell Cancer?
Is It True That Dogs Can Smell Cancer?