How do I manage my ovarian cancer on a daily basis?

Ovarian cancer may be difficult to manage on a daily basis as you grapple emotionally with your diagnosis and undergo grueling treatment regimens. Maintaining a healthy, high protein diet and exercising may help you combat fatigue. Don't be afraid to ask your friends or family to help you with housework or grocery shopping. You may wish to join a support group where you can meet other people with similar issues. If you have difficulty with treatment decisions, have discussions with your doctor and loved ones.

Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
I emphasize the importance of being an active participant in making any treatment decisions and to understand all types of treatments available.

You will want to surround yourself with people who support and love you and will deal with your questions, anxieties and side effects of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation.
It is important and therapuetic to return to your daily routine as soon as you are able to and try to achieve a state of "wellness" again. I encourage women to use complementary approaches so that they can strengthen their immune system, control treatment side effects and improve their overall wellbeing.

Support groups, other patients and social workers are all terrific for emotional support.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Know the Signs: Ovarian Cancer
Know the Signs: Ovarian Cancer
Since the signs can be difficult to recognize, ovarian cancer is often diagnosed after it's already reached a late stage and has spread to other organ...
Is ovarian cancer a common version of gynecologic cancer?
Laura Corio, MDLaura Corio, MD
Ovarian cancer is the fifth most common cancer in women. Its incidence increases with age and is one...
If I have ovarian cancer can I still have sex?
Dr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MDDr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
Stress from your diagnosis and the effects of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation will naturally aff...
Where Are We with Early Detection for Ovarian Cancer?