How is intraoperative radiation therapy used to treat ovarian cancer?

Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) allows ovarian cancer patients to receive a single, powerful dose of radiation directly to a tumor site during surgery.

Typically, standard radiation therapy involves five days of treatment per week, for a total of five to six weeks. With IORT, radiation oncologists can deliver a similar dose of radiation in a single treatment session, while also preserving more healthy tissue. This helps to reduce side effects and minimize the time spent going back and forth to the hospital for radiation treatments.

A patient must be a surgical candidate in order to be eligible for intraoperative radiation therapy. Also, this treatment is generally reserved for individuals with early stage disease.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Detecting Ovarian Cancer
Detecting Ovarian Cancer
Your ovaries lie deep within your pelvis, which makes disease detection tricky. Early screening methods for ovarian cancer have so far proved unreliab...
Why is ovarian cancer difficult to detect in the early stages?
Dr. David A. Fishman, MDDr. David A. Fishman, MD
Early stage epithelial ovarian cancer is extremely difficult to detect, as evidenced by the fact tha...
What causes ovarian cancer?
Ovarian cancer occurs when the cells of the ovary start to divide and grow more quickly than the cel...
Once I'm Experiencing Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer, Is It too Late?