What do I need to know about caring for someone with ovarian cancer?

Caring for a loved one with ovarian cancer may be overwhelming. Simple gestures such as running errands or cooking dinner can be of great help. Listening as your loved one discusses her hopes and fears is also valuable. If she does not wish to talk about these things and you do not know how to help, simply holding her hand can demonstrate love and support.

Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Taking care of a wife, mother, grandmother, sister or friend who has ovarian cancer may put you in a role to coordinate care, talk to doctors and provide physical, emotional and spiritual support. This may require a significant amount of time and expense.

You may want to share your feelings with your loved ones and friends and know that it's ok to ask for help. Remember that you too will be upset, frightened and even feel overwhelmed.

Join a support group and take good care of yourself and know that there are many resources that are available to you:
  • American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/index
  • FORCE: http://www.facingourrisk.org/index.php
  • Gynecological Cancer Foundation: www.wcn.org
  • National Ovarian Cancer Coalition: www.ovarian.org
  • Ovarian Cancer National Alliance (OCNA) www.ovariancancer.org

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

If Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer, What Should My Family Know?
After an ovarian cancer diagnosis, it's important to let family and loved ones know that their support will be needed, says Audra Moran. In this video...
What is a risk of malignancy algorithm (ROMA) for ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
ROMA is a risk of malignancy algorithm that uses a patient's menopausal status and her human epi...
How is ovarian cancer treated?
Ovarian cancer is often treated with surgery and chemotherapy. Depending on your condition, kind of ...
What Are Risk Factors for Ovarian Cancer?