What's the genetic risk of developing ovarian cancer?

Inherited mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes account for approximately 10-15% of ovarian cancers. These mutations are most commonly found in families with a strong history of ovarian and/or breast cancer, and in Ashkenazi Jews. A woman can get these abnormal genes from one or both of her parents, and the mutation is present in every cell of the body, increasing her risk for both ovarian and breast cancer.

Women who have a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation have a 15-40% lifetime risk of getting ovarian cancer, compared to women in the general population who have a 1.4% lifetime risk. Lynch Syndrome, an inherited genetic condition of mutations in the MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, and PMS2 genes that greatly increases the risk of colon cancer, also increases the risk of ovarian cancer.

Scientists are currently investigating other gene mutations that may be responsible for increasing a woman’s risk of developing ovarian cancer

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Is There a Medication that Can Help Prevent Ovarian Cancer?
What Age or Race of Women Are More Likely to Develop Ovarian Cancer?
What Is the Treatment for Advanced Ovarian Cancer?
How Will My Doctor Decide If I Should Have Robotic or Open Surgery?