Can protein fingerprints in the blood predict ovarian cancer?

Gustavo Rodriguez, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
There are strategies looking at the protein fingerprint in the blood to see if it’s different in those individuals who harbor an early ovarian cancer as opposed to those who don’t have cancer. The bar there is extremely huge, because you really need to have a protein that you’re looking for that’s not ubiquitous and that’s not present in a large amount of the blood, otherwise it’s a lot of noise.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

5 Benefits of Joining a Support Group for People With Ovarian Cancer
Support groups offer a chance to connect with other people who have ovarian cancer. Here are five reasons a support group may benefit you.
How can I prevent ovarian cancer if I have a BRCA mutation?
Shelly WeissShelly Weiss
Unfortunately, we don’t yet have good screening tools to detect ovarian cancer at an early stage. Fo...
What genes may trigger the development of clear cell ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)
New research based on a mouse model of clear cell ovarian cancer has helped to identify two mutated ...
How Has Surgery for Ovarian Cancer Changed?