Is otosclerosis serious?

Otosclerosis can be serious because it can affect your ability to hear other people, respond to your environment, and balance properly. However, not all people with otosclerosis experience symptoms of the disease, and some might have very mild symptoms that don't interfere with their daily lives. Others may not experience significant hearing loss until later in life.

If you develop tinnitus (a ringing, buzzing, or clicking in your ears), you might feel depressed or anxious; you might also lose sleep or find it difficult to concentrate because of the interfering sounds you hear. Not everyone with otosclerosis experiences tinnitus.

Continue Learning about Otosclerosis

What do I need to know about caring for someone with otosclerosis?
If the person does not have much hearing loss, you may not need to do anything. If hearing loss is i...
Did I get otosclerosis from repeated ear infections?
Although the cause of otosclerosis isn't fully known, you most likely did not get otosclerosis from ...
What is otosclerosis?
Otosclerosis is an ear disease that can cause hearing loss over time. The bones in the middle ear de...
Is there more than one kind of tinnitus with otosclerosis?
There are two main types of tinnitus: subjective and objective. People with subjective tinnitus are ...