How will I know I have early hearing loss related to otosclerosis?

There are many different types of hearing loss, but the kind of loss associated with otosclerosis usually has the following characteristics:

• Whispers and lower-pitched sounds are the first sounds that become difficult to hear.
  • The hearing loss people with otosclerosis experience may be asymmetric, meaning that the amount of loss is not the same in both ears.
  • Dizziness, balance problems, and tinnitus may appear at the same time as the hearing loss.
  • The kind of tinnitus people with otosclerosis may experience is low-pitched. It may be constant, or it may appear sometimes and then disappear. People with tinnitus that is caused by things other than otosclerosis may hear different kinds of sounds.

Continue Learning about Otosclerosis

Did I get otosclerosis from repeated ear infections?
Although the cause of otosclerosis isn't fully known, you most likely did not get otosclerosis from ...
What is otosclerosis?
Otosclerosis is an ear disease that can cause hearing loss over time. The bones in the middle ear de...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with otosclerosis?
If the person does not have much hearing loss, you may not need to do anything. If hearing loss is i...
Is there more than one kind of tinnitus with otosclerosis?
There are two main types of tinnitus: subjective and objective. People with subjective tinnitus are ...