What do I need to know about caring for someone with otosclerosis?

If the person does not have much hearing loss, you may not need to do anything. If hearing loss is interfering with conversation, face the person when speaking and use a normal tone of voice. It may be hard for the person to hear low tones or whispers. You may also want to be sure that the place you're having the conversation doesn't interfere with hearing-for example, it might be hard to hear what you're saying if there is a lot of background noise. The person may need help to get to medical appointments; driving with hearing loss is dangerous for those not practiced in driving using full-view mirrors or other such equipment. 

Continue Learning about Otosclerosis

Is "Beethoven's Deafness" the same thing as otosclerosis?
There is controversy around the reason why Beethoven, a musician born in the 1700s, became deaf late...
What causes otosclerosis?
Although it isn't fully known why people get otosclerosis, there are several factors that are known ...
What is otosclerosis?
Otosclerosis is an ear disease that can cause hearing loss over time. The bones in the middle ear de...
Did I get otosclerosis from repeated ear infections?
Although the cause of otosclerosis isn't fully known, you most likely did not get otosclerosis from ...