What can I do about the dizziness that accompanies my otosclerosis?

Your doctor may suggest certain exercises that can help you learn to maintain your balance; a physical or occupational therapist may help you learn these exercises, too. Some drugs that can help reduce the feelings of dizziness include Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) and meclizine (Antivert). Your doctor can help you determine if these medications might assist you.

You may wish to cut down on caffeine, since it can constrict your blood vessels and make you feel even more dizzy. If you can, sit or lie down when you feel dizzy, and make sure that your environment doesn't contain a lot of things you could trip over. If your dizziness is affecting your driving, you may wish to ask friends or family to drive you, or to travel another way (e.g. by public transit).

Continue Learning about Otosclerosis

What do I need to know about caring for someone with otosclerosis?
If the person does not have much hearing loss, you may not need to do anything. If hearing loss is i...
Is "Beethoven's Deafness" the same thing as otosclerosis?
There is controversy around the reason why Beethoven, a musician born in the 1700s, became deaf late...
What causes otosclerosis?
Although it isn't fully known why people get otosclerosis, there are several factors that are known ...
Can otosclerosis be prevented?
Otosclerosis cannot be prevented; the genetic link to developing otosclerosis means that people are ...