Can I go deaf from otosclerosis?

Since otosclerosis is progressive, it is possible that you may lose a large amount of your hearing to the disease over time. Surgery and hearing aids can often help restore at least a partial amount of your hearing. It is important to mention any signs of hearing loss to your doctor. Since the bone growth associated with otosclerosis can return, it is also important to have follow-up appointments after treatment.

Continue Learning about Otosclerosis

Who gets otosclerosis?
Eric E. Smouha, MDEric E. Smouha, MD
Otosclerosis is usually first detected in the young adult years when the hearing loss first develops...
Did I get otosclerosis from repeated ear infections?
Although the cause of otosclerosis isn't fully known, you most likely did not get otosclerosis from ...
Is there more than one kind of tinnitus with otosclerosis?
There are two main types of tinnitus: subjective and objective. People with subjective tinnitus are ...
Can otosclerosis be prevented?
Otosclerosis cannot be prevented; the genetic link to developing otosclerosis means that people are ...