How should I use Floxin Otic?

For more accurate dosing and to avoid contaminating the ear dropper, have another person give the Floxin Otic drops, if possible. Before giving the medication, hold the container in your hand for a few minutes. Warming it this way will help lessen dizziness.

Wash your hands. To avoid contamination, do not touch the dropper tip or let it touch your ear or any other surface. Lie on your side or tilt the affected ear upward. Place the dropper directly over your ear and squeeze out the prescribed number of drops.

For outer ear infections, to help the drops roll into the ear, adults should hold the earlobe up and back. In children, hold the earlobe down and back to open up the ear canal.

For middle ear infections, gently press down several times on the cartilage that partially covers your ear opening, to allow the drops to enter your middle ear.

After the drops are in your ear, keep your head tilted for about five minutes, or insert a soft cotton plug if your doctor recommends it. Repeat the steps for your other ear if needed. When done, don't rinse the dropper. Replace the dropper cap on the bottle after each use.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist any questions you might have about giving this medication.

Continue Learning about Otic Agent

What should I know before taking corticosteroids?
If you have diabetes, be aware that corticosteroids may decrease glucose tolerance and raise blood s...
How are corticosteroids used to treat Crohn's disease?
Corticosteroids are recommended to treat active disease in most people with Crohn's disease. They ma...
How do corticosteroid injections treat carpal tunnel syndrome?
A small amount of corticosteroid, combined with an anesthetic, can be injected directly into the wri...
What should I know before using a corticosteroid nasal spray?
If you have an ocular herpes simplex infection, an intranasal corticosteroid may not be a good optio...