What is a rare or orphan disease?

According to the Orphan Drug Act of 1983, any disease affecting fewer than 200,000 people is considered rare. There are nearly 7,000 rare diseases affecting nearly 30 million Americans, resulting in almost one in 10 Americans suffering from rare diseases.

A rare or orphan disease is one that has fewer than 200,000 cases in the nation, according to the National Institute of Health. In the European Union, a rare or orphan disease is defined as one that affects five or fewer people out of every 10,000.

Whichever you prefer, the answer remains the same: Thousands of rare or orphan diseases affect millions of people every day.

Continue Learning about Other Health Topics

Are drugs used with therapy for medically unexplained syndromes?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Drug therapy may be a  treatment method for medically unexplained syndromes. The type of medications...
What are some common criticisms of the classic Hippocratic Oath?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Some common criticisms of the classical Hippocratic Oath include its dedication to the ancient Greek...
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?