What is comorbidity?

Arif A. Karim, MD
Neurology
Comorbidity is having two disorders at the same time that are linked -- usually a mental health issue in combination with an addiction problem. In this video, I will explain the concept of dual diagnosis and its complications. 
Comorbidity is the term used when two or more illnesses occur in a single person. These conditions can happen at the same time or one after the other. Comorbidity can also describe interactions between the illnesses that can worsen the course of both.

Continue Learning about Other Health Topics

Do digital devices affect our health?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Other than the question of the impact on quality of life, there is little scientific research to pro...
What are the treatments for medically unexplained syndromes?
Since there is no cure for most medically unexplained syndromes, you want to treat the symptoms. One...
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?
Can My Dog's Bad Habits Make Me Sick?