Do I have to get rid of my pet if I catch a disease from it?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
Although diseases can be transmitted from pets to humans, this does not mean that you should say goodbye to Fido or Kitty or sell your beloved horses. They really are good for your mind, and in turn, for your body. It just means that extra care should be taken when handling any animal. Coming into contact with their excretions, or sometimes even just their fur or skin, can cause a disease to get transmitted from them to you. Be sure your pets and farm animals have regular veterinarian checkups to make sure they are in good health and disease free. Then go ahead and play with your pet, just remember to wash up really well afterwards!

Continue Learning about Other Health Topics

What equipment should my dentist have?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
While having every piece of state-of-the-art equipment does not necessarily guarantee expert car...
What are some obstacles in treating rare diseases?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
To cover the expenses of research and development, pharmaceutical companies often place high price t...
What Illnesses Can My Pet Give Me?
What Illnesses Can My Pet Give Me?
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?
How Can My Pet Make Me Ill?