Should I talk to a doctor about my child's juvenile osteoporosis symptoms?

Osteoporosis is rare in children but serious, since childhood is a crucial time for bone growth. If your child is exhibiting symptoms of osteoporosis, such as persistent pain in the legs, lower back, and feet, you should see a doctor. If your child also has a medical condition and is taking medication to treat it, this may be a contributing factor to one type of the disease called secondary juvenile osteoporosis. Your doctor will be able to determine whether your child's symptoms are a result of osteoporosis through a physical exam and specialized tests that measure bone density.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis

Should You Be Screened for Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by weak and brittle bones. About 10 million Americans have the condition, according to the National Osteoporos...
What is primary osteoporosis?
The vast majority of people with osteoporosis have primary osteoporosis. It is usually a late-onset ...
5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked
5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked
Get the facts and learn how to protect your bone health.
Eat Prunes to Build Strong Bones
Eat Prunes to Build Strong Bones