How is juvenile osteoporosis different from osteogenesis imperfecta?

Although many of the symptoms of juvenile osteoporosis are similar to those of osteogenesis imperfecta (OI), the two conditions are completely unrelated. Both cause brittle bones in children. While osteoporosis usually resolves itself completely, OI is a very rare genetic disorder that never goes away during life. A child with OI will likely have a family history of the disorder, as well as whites of the eyes that are colored blue, purple, or gray in at least half of those affected. When a diagnosis is difficult, genetic testing or a bone biopsy may be required.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis

The 4 Worst Things for Your Bones
The 4 Worst Things for Your Bones
About half of women and a quarter of men will break a bone sometime in their lives because they have osteoporosis, a condition characterized by a thin...
When should I call my doctor if I have osteoporosis?
When to see your doctor about osteoporosis depends on how high your risk of having a fracture might ...
5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked
5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked5 Common Osteoporosis Myths, Debunked
Get the facts and learn how to protect your bone health.
Osteoporosis Isn't Just for Women
Osteoporosis Isn't Just for Women