What should I know about taking biphosphonates for osteoporosis?

Biophosphenates such as Fosamax are not absorbed easily. A 10-mg tablet of Fosamax should be taken on an empty stomach with an eight-ounce glass of water. To enhance absorption, do not eat any food, drink any beverages, or lie down for 30 to 60 minutes after taking this medication. Be careful of coffee and orange juice, which can lower the absorption of Fosamax by about 40%. If you experience indigestion, heartburn, or abdominal discomfort after taking this medication, speak with your doctor. 
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...
Stanislav Moline
Endodontics

If you ever need a surgical dental procedure such as extraction or implant placement, make sure your dentist knows you take bisphosphonates. It is especially important if you do take oral biphosphonates for over 3 years or intravenously for more than 3 months. Prolonged use of these medications may cause non-healing osteonecrosis of a jaw (ONJ) after surgery such as extraction or implant.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Treatment

What Is the Effect of the Ornish Diet on Osteoporosis?
If you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, you know the weakening of bones increases the likelihood of getting a fracture. In the United States, mo...
Can I take osteoporosis medications if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant it is very important to discuss your osteoporosis with your doctor. While bispho...
How does parathyroid hormone (PTH) help treat osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is produced naturally in the body. It works in several ways to increas...
What Are Natural Treatments for Osteoporosis?