Can I take osteoporosis medications if I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant it is very important to discuss your osteoporosis with your doctor. While bisphosphonates are the main medication used to treat osteoporosis, they are usually given to women who have already gone through menopause. A pregnant woman should not take bisphosphonates. Neither should a woman nursing a baby. Make sure all your doctors are aware of both your osteoporosis and your pregnancy when deciding what medications to prescribe.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Treatment

What Is the Effect of the Ornish Diet on Osteoporosis?
If you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, you know the weakening of bones increases the likelihood of getting a fracture. In the United States, mo...
How do bisphosphonates work to keep bones strong?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Healthy bones are in a state of continuous breakdown and rebuilding. This process is called remo...
Can osteoporosis drugs cause bone loss?
In 2010, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said, "Now, whoa there," after studies found th...
Treadmill Talks: FDA Releases Health Warnings on Osteoporosis Medications