Can I get rid of osteoporosis with changes to my diet?

No, but once you have a diagnosis of osteoporosis you can slow down further loss of bone by following the same recommendations that you would to prevent it: ingest enough calcium and vitamin D; the right amount (not too much or too little) protein; and minimal alcohol. These will all serve to preserve the bone that you do have. If you have been given a diagnosis of osteoporosis, you should work with your health care provider to evaluate the various medications that are available, and also look at other lifestyle interventions such as exercise which, along with diet, can slow down the progression of this disease.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Treatment

What Is the Effect of the Ornish Diet on Osteoporosis?
If you have been diagnosed with osteoporosis, you know the weakening of bones increases the likelihood of getting a fracture. In the United States, mo...
How does parathyroid hormone (PTH) help treat osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is produced naturally in the body. It works in several ways to increas...
How are fractures from osteoporosis treated?
Osteoporosis can result in fractured bone. Which bone is fractured and the type of fracture will det...
Treadmill Talks: FDA Releases Health Warnings on Osteoporosis Medications