What bones does osteoporosis affect?

Osteoporosis affects all bones in the body. However, breaks are most common in the hip, wrist, and spine, also called vertebrae. Vertebrae support your body, helping you to stand and sit up.

Osteoporosis in the vertebrae can cause serious problems for women. A fracture in this area occurs from day-to-day activities like climbing stairs, lifting objects, or bending forward. Signs of osteoporosis:

Sloping shoulders Curve in the back Height loss Back pain Hunched posture Protruding abdomen

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Symptoms

When can breaking your wrist be a good thing?
If someone falls and breaks her wrist instead of her hip, it can be a good thing, because it can ale...
How can I know if I have osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Osteoporosis has few symptoms in midlife. It is estimated that less than 10% of people who have ...
Why are osteoporotic fractures of the vertebra so problematic?
One in five women who break a vertebra of the spine will have another spinal fracture within the yea...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteoporosis symptoms?
Symptoms for osteoporosis rarely present themselves until a bone is fractured or broken. Osteoporosi...