How can I know if I have osteoporosis?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Osteoporosis has few symptoms in midlife. It is estimated that less than 10% of people who have osteoporosis at this stage of life actually know they have it. Many aren’t aware of their condition until they fracture a bone. Also, the fractures usually are dramatically out of proportion to the injuries (breaking ribs during a coughing spell, for example). However, one indicator of osteoporosis can be a loss in height because of fractures in vertebrae. Although men and women may lose a small percentage of height annually after age 45, doctors should suspect osteoporosis in any person who loses height.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Symptoms

What bones does osteoporosis affect?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Osteoporosis affects all bones in the body. However, breaks are most common in the hip, wrist, and s...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteoporosis symptoms?
Symptoms for osteoporosis rarely present themselves until a bone is fractured or broken. Osteoporosi...
Why are osteoporotic fractures of the vertebra so problematic?
One in five women who break a vertebra of the spine will have another spinal fracture within the yea...
Does a fracture from a simple fall mean I have osteoporosis?
A simple fall that results in a fracture is the most telling sign that you may have osteoporosis, sa...