How does osteoporosis affect men?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
About 25 percent of osteoporosis and fractures happen in men, including hip and spine fractures. Cigarette smoking, drinking alcohol, exercise habits, and diet contribute to bone loss in men. In addition, men with relatives who have this disease are found to be at greater risk. The main risk factor for men is age. While men do not have a decline in bone mass in midlife the way postmenopausal women do, the longer a man lives, the greater his chances are of suffering a fracture due to osteoporosis.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my osteoporosis symptoms?
Symptoms for osteoporosis rarely present themselves until a bone is fractured or broken. Osteoporosi...
What are the symptoms of osteoporosis?
As your bones first become weaker, you will probably not have any symptoms. Once your bones are weak...
When can breaking your wrist be a good thing?
If someone falls and breaks her wrist instead of her hip, it can be a good thing, because it can ale...
What are the warning signs for osteoporosis in the back?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
While other back problems may have early warning signs, often osteoporosis is not detected until a f...