What should I eat to avoid getting osteoporosis?

A healthy diet in childhood and young adulthood can make an enormous difference in your risk for developing osteoporosis. The National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) recommends to get your daily requirement of: Calcium - Adults under age 50 need 1,000 mg of calcium daily, and adults age 50 and over need 1,200 mg of calcium daily; Vitamin D - Adults under age 50 need 400-800 IU of vitamin D daily, and adults age 50 and over need 800-1,000 IU of vitamin D daily. (These recommendations are in the process of being reviewed so stay tuned for new recommendations); Adequate protein, but not too much. While protein makes up an important part of bone matrix, taking in too much protein may cause you to excrete too much calcium. If you eat a fairly high protein diet, you might want to increase your dietary calcium with an extra serving of dairy. Your body will get rid of extra calcium from foods if you take in more than you need; Avoid excessive alcohol which can not only displace other nutrients, but in large amounts it is directly toxic to osteoblasts (bone formation cells).

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

How can I decrease my risk of osteporosis when taking certain medications?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some medications -- such as the cortisone-type drugs that make breathing easier for people with ...
Why should I be screened for osteoporosis?
Life Line ScreeningLife Line Screening
Osteoporosis is painless in early stages and most people are completely unaware of the condition unt...
4 Steps to Stronger Bones to Prevent Osteoporosis
Top Nutrients to Nourish Bone Health and Prevent Osteoporosis