What is the connection between vitamin C and osteoporosis?

Vitamin C has been proven to be a powerful antioxidant and a nutrient that can boost immunity, among other benefits. But more research is showing that C can help prevent bone loss associated with osteoporosis, and it's necessary for cartilage repair.

You should shoot for 1,200 milligrams of vitamin C daily-spread throughout your diet and supplements throughout the day.

And while I mean no offense to the late, great Dr. Linus Pauling, I'd avoid taking high doses of vitamin C. Some data show that consuming too much-over 2,500 milligrams a day-can increase osteoarthritis and DNA abnormalities.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

How can bone testing prevent osteoporosis?
Bone-density testing lets you know whether your bones look more like aged Parmesan or Swiss cheese. ...
How can I keep my bones strong and prevent osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Taking measures to build strong bones - especially before the age of 30 - is the best defense ag...
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
For Healthy Bones, Skip These 3 Bad Habits