What is the connection between vitamin C and osteoporosis?

Vitamin C has been proven to be a powerful antioxidant and a nutrient that can boost immunity, among other benefits. But more research is showing that C can help prevent bone loss associated with osteoporosis, and it's necessary for cartilage repair.

You should shoot for 1,200 milligrams of vitamin C daily-spread throughout your diet and supplements throughout the day.

And while I mean no offense to the late, great Dr. Linus Pauling, I'd avoid taking high doses of vitamin C. Some data show that consuming too much-over 2,500 milligrams a day-can increase osteoarthritis and DNA abnormalities.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

When should I start taking measures to prevent osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
The best prevention for osteoporosis begins early -- during the first two decades of life, when ...
How can I help prevent bone loss as an older adult?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
At 65 years or older, bone loss has tapered off for women. Estrogen deficiency is no longer the ...
Eat Prunes to Build Strong Bones
Eat Prunes to Build Strong Bones
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis