When should I start taking calcium to prevent osteoporosis?

Surprisingly, comprehensive studies show that preventing osteoporosis should begin in childhood, while the body is most actively building bone. Some research indicates our bodies may reach peak bone mass as young as ages 16 to 25. The stronger and denser our bones are during our teenage and early adult years, the longer they will last at midlife when bone loss begins. You can reach the recommended amounts of calcium -- about 1,000 mg per day -- by consuming three or four servings of calcium-rich foods such as an 8-ounce glass of milk, an 8-ounce cup of yogurt, one ounce of cheese, calcium-fortified juice, salmon, and green, leafy vegetables.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

How can I reduce my risk of developing osteoporosis?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Osteoporosis can be prevented with adequate intake of calcium—about 1200 milligrams (mg) daily from ...
How can I help prevent osteoporosis if I am in early postmenopause?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
If you are a woman in the early years of menopause, you are probably in the period of your great...
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
How Regular Exercise Helps Prevent Bone Loss