How does physical activity affect bone mass?

Eric Olsen
Fitness
Bone mass is subject to mechanical factors; when bone is stressed regularly through movement or physical activity, it responds by increasing mineral density. When bone is not stressed regularly, it loses density. Thus, athletes have more bone mass than sedentary individuals, and the most bone mass in those areas most stressed (the bones in the preferred arm of a tennis player will show more density).
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...
Research shows that physical activity, including and especially weight-bearing activity like walking, jogging, and upright weight-lifting, etc., can increase bone density. This is turn can lead to lower risks of bone fractures of the hip, spine, and other body areas. There are some risks to physical activity and exercise, however, so if you are over 40 years old and haven't been exercising much lately, you should consult your doctor about whether it's safe for you to start an exercise program. Sports medicine doctors can also help you determine safe ways to exercise to protect your joints and muscles and build good health and endurance.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

How can I help prevent osteoporosis if I am in early postmenopause?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
If you are a woman in the early years of menopause, you are probably in the period of your great...
What is FRAX?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
In 2008, a World Health Organization (WHO) task force introduced FRAX, a risk assessment tool that i...
How Can I Reduce Bone-Mass Loss Without Taking Medication?
Top Nutrients to Nourish Bone Health and Prevent Osteoporosis