How can I help prevent osteoporosis if I am in early postmenopause?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
If you are a woman in the early years of menopause, you are probably in the period of your greatest bone loss. You should do the following to help prevent osteoporosis:
Assess your risk. If you have reason to believe you're at greater risk for osteoporosis, talk to your clinician about having a bone density evaluation -- preferably a dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) test.
Discuss preventive medications with your doctor. Consider talking to your doctor about medications that can help prevent osteoporosis. Each medication has its own benefits and risks, and your doctor can help you determine which one may be best suited for you.
Check your calcium and vitamin D. Get 1,200 mg of calcium a day. Also, be sure that you are getting the vitamin D you need.
Reevaluate your exercise regimen. Exercise not only builds bone, it also increases strength, flexibility, and balance. As you age, it becomes more difficult to maintain muscle mass, so you may need to add more exercise to keep from losing ground. Now is a good time to incorporate weights into your routine, if you haven't already been using them.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

How can I help prevent bone loss as an older adult?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
At 65 years or older, bone loss has tapered off for women. Estrogen deficiency is no longer the ...
More Answers
How can I prevent osteoporosis?
Dr. Celeste Robb-NicholsonDr. Celeste Robb-Nicholson
To help prevent osteoporosis (a bone-thinning condition that can result in bone fracture), you shoul...
More Answers
How Regular Exercise Helps Prevent Bone Loss
How Regular Exercise Helps Prevent Bone Loss
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis
Tips to Help Men Prevent Osteoporosis

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.