How can bone testing prevent osteoporosis?

Bone-density testing lets you know whether your bones look more like aged Parmesan or Swiss cheese. (We hope it looks like aged Parmesan!) Women usually get tested once in the beginning of menopause, and periodically thereafter to make sure that their bones don’t wither away like old flowers, putting them at serious risk for fractures. The earlier you notice that your bone density is starting to drop like the ball on New Year’s Eve, the sooner you can take measures to protect what you’ve got left and even improve it. Thanks to bone testing, this is much easier.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Prevention

How can men prevent osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
The National Osteoporosis Foundation recommends routine dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) t...
What should I eat to avoid getting osteoporosis?
A healthy diet in childhood and young adulthood can make an enormous difference in your risk for...
How Can I Reduce Bone-Mass Loss Without Taking Medication?
How Regular Exercise Helps Prevent Bone Loss