Why are women more likely than men to have osteoporosis?

Eric Olsen
Fitness
Why women are more prone to osteoporosis and lose bone mass more rapidly than men isn't fully understood. Osteoporosis in women seems to be linked to hormonal changes that occur with aging, particularly after menopause, when the rate of bone loss increases sharply. And since men generally reach adulthood with larger, denser bones, they have more bone to lose before it becomes a health problem, which suggests an important strategy for preventing osteoporosis, assuming you start soon enough: Build bone mineral density through childhood and young adulthood, when bone mineral density can be significantly increased through diet and exercise.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Do risk factors always indicate that I will develop osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
No. Although many factors influence osteoporosis, sometimes people have no risk factors or only ...
What are my chances of getting osteoporosis?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
There is a one-in-two chance that a woman will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in her lifetime...
Can insufficient calcium intake increase my chances of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Osteoporosis (bone loss) is a common cause of back pain with painful fractures of the vertebrae (and...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis