Why are men less prone to bone loss than women?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Two factors make men less vulnerable than women to bone loss: they have a greater bone density at maturity, and they experience a more gradual decline in hormone levels. Nevertheless, two million men in the United States have the disease.

When men under age 75 develop osteoporosis, it's often because of an underlying condition and is considered secondary, rather than primary, osteoporosis. In these cases, treatments address the condition or conditions that are responsible.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How does my risk of osteoporosis increase as I age?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Healthy bones are in a state of continuous breakdown and rebuilding. This process is called remo...
How does menopause affect the risk of osteoporosis?
For women, menopause causes a steep drop in estrogen, a hormone essential for strong bones. The ...
How can I learn my risk for osteoporosis?
Anaisys M. Ballesteros, DOAnaisys M. Ballesteros, DO
Your osteoporosis risk can be assessed with a simple and painless bone density test that measures th...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis