What are my chances of getting osteoporosis?

Kelly Traver

There is a one-in-two chance that a woman will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in her lifetime, and there is a one-in-four chance that a man will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in his lifetime. Hip fractures are the most serious. Twenty-five percent of those over 50 who experience a hip fracture die in the first year following the incident, and 20 percent lose their independence at home and have to move into an assisted living facility. Vertebral (spinal) fractures are twice as common as hip fractures and can be quite debilitating because they are so painful.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can a diet high in animal protein contribute to bone loss?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
A diet too high in animal protein such as meat and fish may be a key player in bone loss. Protei...
How can growths around a joint lead to osteoporosis?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Researchers believe that most osteoarthritis problems happen because of the breakdown or decay o...
What medical problems can increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Several medical problems increase the chance of osteoporosis, largely because the medications us...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis