Can being underweight increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Being underweight for your height increases your risk of fractures and osteoporosis while being overweight lowers your risk. It is possible that having more fat tissue influences either the production of estrogen by fat cells or the effect of estrogen on the bones. In any event, lean women have the greatest risk of hip fractures, low bone mass, low levels of estrogen, and little fat to cushion their falls. This is one risk factor that can be changed.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can taking antacids increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Antacids are not dangerous when taken for quick relief for an upset stomach. However, if taken i...
What medical problems can increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Several medical problems increase the chance of osteoporosis, largely because the medications us...
Who is at risk for osteoporosis and other bone health problems?
Millions of people are at risk for osteoporosis and other bone health problems. Petite, thin, older ...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis