Can taking thyroid medication increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Although essential for people with an underactive thyroid, thyroid medication can cause osteoporosis and fractures. Talk to your doctor about monitoring this periodically through a simple blood test, and ask for advice on various thyroid-medication doses to reduce your risk.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How common is osteoporosis in women?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Osteoarthritis (OA) - the “wear-and-tear” arthritis - is the most common type of arthritis. It a...
What increases my risk for osteoporosis?
There are many risk factors for osteoporosis. There are some that do not have a clear mechanism for ...
How does a family history of osteoporosis affect my risk?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
If a natural or biological relative has had a broken hip, frequent fractures, loss of height, or...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis