Can taking seizure medication increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Some medications used for seizures can increase the chance of osteoporosis. This risk can be reduced and the medication continued with preventive steps such as ingesting more calcium and vitamin D through diet and supplements. Review your medication history with your doctor to discuss any increased osteoporosis risk.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Why are some athletes at a higher risk for osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some athletes, especially women who vigorously exercise, may have a change in menstrual periods ...
How does a bone fracture after age 40 affect my risk of osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Researchers found that if you have a fracture after age 40, your risk of having another fracture...
What causes osteoporosis?
Charles J. Jordan, MDCharles J. Jordan, MD
The exact medical cause of osteoporosis is not known, but several factors such as aging, heredity, n...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis