Does having rheumatoid arthritis increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Yes; people with rheumatoid arthritis often take prednisone, which increases the risk of osteoporosis when taken over a long period of time. In addition, people with rheumatoid arthritis tend to be less active and often are underweight for their height, both of which are risk factors for osteoporosis. Removing other risk factors when possible and getting a bone-density test to assess bone strength can manage the risk.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Does osteoporosis affect men and women differently?
Osteoporosis does affect men and women differently. For many unknown reasons, there are four times a...
Who is at risk for developing osteoporosis?
More than 28 million Americans either have osteoporosis or are at risk of it, but the disease primar...
Can insufficient calcium intake increase my chances of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Osteoporosis (bone loss) is a common cause of back pain with painful fractures of the vertebrae (and...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis