Does having rheumatoid arthritis increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Yes; people with rheumatoid arthritis often take prednisone, which increases the risk of osteoporosis when taken over a long period of time. In addition, people with rheumatoid arthritis tend to be less active and often are underweight for their height, both of which are risk factors for osteoporosis. Removing other risk factors when possible and getting a bone-density test to assess bone strength can manage the risk.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can taking seizure medication increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some medications used for seizures can increase the chance of osteoporosis. This risk can be red...
Does osteoporosis affect men and women differently?
Faisal M. Mirza, MDFaisal M. Mirza, MD
Women begin to lose estrogen during menopause, making them more vulnerable to osteoporosis than men,...
Can taking antacids increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Antacids are not dangerous when taken for quick relief for an upset stomach. However, if taken i...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis