Is osteoporosis just a part of aging?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
No. Although years ago osteoporosis was considered as much a part of aging as wrinkles or gray hair, researchers in recent years have determined that osteoporosis is a specific disease that is preventable. 
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

What are the risk factors of osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Osteoporosis usually does not occur at random. There are several genetic and environmental risk ...
How can I learn my risk for osteoporosis?
Anaisys M. Ballesteros, DOAnaisys M. Ballesteros, DO
Your osteoporosis risk can be assessed with a simple and painless bone density test that measures th...
Do I increase my risk of osteoporosis if I drink alcohol?
Excessive alcohol intake can increase your risk of osteoporosis and fractures. The exact amount ...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis