Does osteoporosis affect men and women differently?

Faisal M. Mirza, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Women begin to lose estrogen during menopause, making them more vulnerable to osteoporosis than men, says orthopedic surgeon Faisal Mirza, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital. Learn more in this video.

Osteoporosis does affect men and women differently. For many unknown reasons, there are four times as many cases of osteoporosis in women than in men. Usually a drop in hormones is the primary cause of osteoporosis. In women, this often happens when estrogen levels fall during menopause. Men, however, do not usually have a drop in testosterone until they are 70 years old or more. For this reason, women are at risk for osteoporosis at a younger age than men. There are also some medications that mimic estrogen that are prescribed and administered to women more often than men because they are more successful in women.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can taking thyroid medication increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Although essential for people with an underactive thyroid, thyroid medication can cause osteopor...
What medicines increase my risk for osteoporosis and fractures?
Certain medications -- among them antidepressants, corticosteroids, and proton pump inhibitors -...
How common is osteoporosis in women?
One estimate is that approximately 15% of all white women in the United States who are age 50 or ove...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis