Does osteoporosis affect men and women differently?

Osteoporosis does affect men and women differently. For many unknown reasons, there are four times as many cases of osteoporosis in women than in men. Usually a drop in hormones is the primary cause of osteoporosis. In women, this often happens when estrogen levels fall during menopause. Men, however, do not usually have a drop in testosterone until they are 70 years old or more. For this reason, women are at risk for osteoporosis at a younger age than men. There are also some medications that mimic estrogen that are prescribed and administered to women more often than men because they are more successful in women.

Faisal M. Mirza, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Women begin to lose estrogen during menopause, making them more vulnerable to osteoporosis than men, says orthopedic surgeon Faisal Mirza, MD, of Good Samaritan Hospital. Learn more in this video.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How do my age, gender, and hormones affect my risk of bone loss?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
After age 35 or later, our bodies lose bone mass faster than it is built. This happens in both g...
Is osteoporosis just a part of aging?
No. Although years ago osteoporosis was considered as much a part of aging as wrinkles or gray h...
What is the cause of type 1 osteoporosis?
Type 1 osteoporosis is caused by a lack of estrogen, the main female hormone. At menopause, the leve...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis