What medical problems can increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Several medical problems increase the chance of osteoporosis, largely because the medications used to treat these conditions affect bone loss. They are as follows:

• Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Chronic lung disease, such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
  • Some intestinal problems, such as those that require surgery to remove part of the stomach
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...
David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Congenital disorders that affect bone mass over a lifetime, such as Marfan's syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, or osteogenesis imperfecta, increase the risk for osteoporosis. Some chronic conditions, including anorexia, certain cancers, liver disease, and disorders that affect absorption of minerals, may also have an impact.

One disorder that increases the risk for osteoporosis is primary hyperparathyroidism. People with this disorder have abnormally high levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), which helps regulate the amount of calcium in the blood. The excessive levels of PTH spur the removal of calcium from bones and increase the amount of calcium in the blood. In turn, the kidneys often try to compensate. Often, this condition has no symptoms and is found only when a routine blood test shows high calcium levels. However, as it advances, it can cause kidney stones, muscle weakness, fatigue, and eventually osteoporosis.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How can growths around a joint lead to osteoporosis?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Researchers believe that most osteoarthritis problems happen because of the breakdown or decay o...
Can being underweight increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Being underweight for your height increases your risk of fractures and osteoporosis while being ...
Can insufficient calcium intake increase my chances of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Osteoporosis (bone loss) is a common cause of back pain with painful fractures of the vertebrae (and...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis