How do I know if I’m at risk for osteoporosis?

It’s important to know that it is never too late to try to prevent fractures, but the most important fracture to prevent is the first one. One important action to tell if you are at risk for osteoporosis is to have your bone mineral density (BMD) evaluated, as this is the best method for determining whether a person has osteoporosis or is at risk of developing it. BMD testing is a quick, non-invasive and accurate method for assessing future fracture risk. Bone density tests are fast, painless, and safe, and measure the bone density in your spine, hip, and/or wrist, the most common sites of fractures due to osteoporosis. Some newer bone density tests measure bone density in your heel or shinbone, and in your middle finger.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How common is osteoporosis in women?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Osteoarthritis (OA) - the “wear-and-tear” arthritis - is the most common type of arthritis. It a...
Can excessive exercise increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Gymnasts, long-distance runners, and other athletes who exercise vigorously in the course of dem...
How do low sex hormone levels increase a man's risk for osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Men produce both estrogen and testosterone. Experts believe that age-related declines in testost...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis