Can insufficient calcium intake increase my chances of osteoporosis?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
If you give your body less calcium than it needs, it will build less bone. Sufficient calcium intake is important for all ages, but it is especially important for adolescents, since this is the life stage to build bones. Teenagers need 1,500 mg of calcium each day. Young adults should aim for 1,200 each day between their diet and supplements; after menopause, women should increase their calcium intake to 1,500 mg each day between diet and supplements.  
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...
Osteoporosis (bone loss) is a common cause of back pain with painful fractures of the vertebrae (and other bones). Most men and women aren’t even aware that they have osteoporosis until they break a bone and live with the excruciating pain. Calcium, the most abundant mineral in the body, plays a vital role in preventing osteoporosis as it helps to keep bones and teeth strong. But calcium must be replenished daily through dietary measures or supplementation or your body will be deficient.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...
Kelly Traver

You need calcium to build strong bones, and vitamin D is necessary to absorb calcium. Getting enough vitamin D and calcium becomes more of an issue in your later years because the body is less able to absorb calcium and manufacture the necessary vitamin D. Those who are at the highest risk for osteoporosis are thin, elderly Caucasian and Asian women who have a family history of osteoporosis. Various medical conditions or chronic use of certain medications can also increase the risk, as can smoking, alcohol, and inactivity.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How can I learn my risk for osteoporosis?
Anaisys M. Ballesteros, DOAnaisys M. Ballesteros, DO
Your osteoporosis risk can be assessed with a simple and painless bone density test that measures th...
Why are men less prone to bone loss than women?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Two factors make men less vulnerable than women to bone loss: they have a greater bone density a...
What medicines increase my risk for osteoporosis and fractures?
Certain medications -- among them antidepressants, corticosteroids, and proton pump inhibitors -...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis