Do I increase my risk of osteoporosis if I smoke?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Cigarette smoking doubles your risk of osteoporosis, perhaps because of the chemicals and other substances in the smoke. Research also has shown that osteoporosis starts sooner and increases at a faster pace in smokers. The good news is, once you stop smoking, you can lower your risk of osteoporosis by one-half.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...
David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Smokers tend to lose bone faster than nonsmokers. Smoking may both interfere with the absorption of calcium and lower the amount of estrogen produced by the body. An analysis of several studies found that men and women who smoked were at greater risk of breaking a hip or other bone. In fact, a report from the U.S. Surgeon General on osteoporosis noted that smokers are 55% more likely than nonsmokers to break a hip.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Why are some athletes at a higher risk for osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some athletes, especially women who vigorously exercise, may have a change in menstrual periods ...
Why is it important to measure your height?
You (and your doctor) should measure your height so you have a baseline measurement, because it's a ...
How do I know if I’m at risk for osteoporosis?
It’s important to know that it is never too late to try to prevent fractures, but the most importa...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis