Do I increase my risk of osteoporosis if I smoke?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Smokers tend to lose bone faster than nonsmokers. Smoking may both interfere with the absorption of calcium and lower the amount of estrogen produced by the body. An analysis of several studies found that men and women who smoked were at greater risk of breaking a hip or other bone. In fact, a report from the U.S. Surgeon General on osteoporosis noted that smokers are 55% more likely than nonsmokers to break a hip.
Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Cigarette smoking doubles your risk of osteoporosis, perhaps because of the chemicals and other substances in the smoke. Research also has shown that osteoporosis starts sooner and increases at a faster pace in smokers. The good news is, once you stop smoking, you can lower your risk of osteoporosis by one-half.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can taking thyroid medication increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Although essential for people with an underactive thyroid, thyroid medication can cause osteopor...
How does a family history of osteoporosis affect my risk?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Genes may go a long way toward determining susceptibility to osteoporosis. About 75% of bone str...
Who is at risk for osteoporosis and other bone health problems?
Millions of people are at risk for osteoporosis and other bone health problems. Petite, thin, older ...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis