Do I increase my risk of osteoporosis if I drink alcohol?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Excessive alcohol intake can increase your risk of osteoporosis and fractures. The exact amount of alcohol that is considered excessive is not known; some researchers say more than three drinks a day or more than 12 in a week can lower bone density significantly. Perhaps this is because heavy drinkers to not eat nutritious foods. Moderate drinking – having 12 ounces of beer, a half bottle of wine, or 1 ounce of distilled 80-proof liquor daily – does not increase your risk.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Which races are most at risk for developing osteoporosis?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Research shows that people with Caucasian backgrounds are at the highest risk of osteoporosis. P...
How are osteoporosis and exercise related?
Mirabai HollandMirabai Holland
Bones are living tissue. They grow to their full size and density by about age 20. But activity in o...
Does osteoporosis only affect women?
Although osteoporosis has been considered a women’s disease, especially affecting women over age 60,...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis