Does having hyperthyroidism increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Some medication to treat conditions such as hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) carries a risk of developing osteoporosis. Try to remove whatever other risk factors you can, such as being underweight for your height and being less active. Also, get a bone-density test to assess your bone strength so you can take any steps needed for prevention and treatment.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can caffeine cause osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Studies show that caffeine might contribute to osteoporosis. As few as two cups a day of caffein...
Who is most at risk for developing osteoporosis?
Pascal Bordy, MDPascal Bordy, MD
Osteoporosis causes more than 8.9 million broken bones (or fractures) every year. About 75 million p...
How do I know if I’m at risk for osteoporosis?
It’s important to know that it is never too late to try to prevent fractures, but the most importa...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis