Does having hyperthyroidism increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Some medication to treat conditions such as hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) carries a risk of developing osteoporosis. Try to remove whatever other risk factors you can, such as being underweight for your height and being less active. Also, get a bone-density test to assess your bone strength so you can take any steps needed for prevention and treatment.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can a diet high in animal protein contribute to bone loss?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
A diet too high in animal protein such as meat and fish may be a key player in bone loss. Protei...
Who is most at risk for developing osteoporosis?
More than 28 million Americans either have osteoporosis or are at risk of it, but the disease primar...
How can I learn my risk for osteoporosis?
Anaisys M. Ballesteros, DOAnaisys M. Ballesteros, DO
Your osteoporosis risk can be assessed with a simple and painless bone density test that measures th...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis