How can my diet affect my risk for osteoporosis?

David Slovik, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
What you eat early in life has a lot to do with the state of your bones later on. Research indicates that women whose diets contain the greatest amounts of calcium and vitamin D during childhood and adolescence have denser bones during adulthood. Consuming enough calories is also vital: when girls and women have too little body fat to support menstruation because of anorexia or bulimia, their bones suffer and they are in greater jeopardy of developing osteoporosis.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How can I learn my risk for osteoporosis?
Anaisys M. Ballesteros, DOAnaisys M. Ballesteros, DO
Your osteoporosis risk can be assessed with a simple and painless bone density test that measures th...
Can a diet high in animal protein contribute to bone loss?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
A diet too high in animal protein such as meat and fish may be a key player in bone loss. Protei...
Do I increase my risk of osteoporosis if I drink alcohol?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Excessive alcohol intake can increase your risk of osteoporosis and fractures. The exact amount ...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis